Formby Parish Council – Minutes 19 June 2023

Meetings, Minutes

Please find below the minutes for the latest Formby Parish Council meeting. A copy of the minutes is available to download at the bottom of the page.


Present: Councillors: Maria Bennett (Chairman), Derek Baxter, Sandra Baxter, Dawn Brodie, Luke Brodie, Jill Butler, Karen Cavanagh, Helen Duerdon, Kevin Haygarth, Dave Irving, Yvonne Irving, Liz Mercer, Bernie Prescott, Carol Richards and Mike Weild.

In Attendance: Claire Jenkins (Clerk) and 8 Members of public

16.0 Apologies for Absence

There were no apologies were received.

17.0 Members Declaration of Interest

17.1 Cllr Richards declared an interest in planning items.

17.2 Cllrs Bennett, D Brodie and L Brodie declared an interest in item 23.9.

18.0 Public Forum

The meeting was adjourned for this item.

18.1 Members from Formby Park Bowling Club addressed the Council regarding antisocial behaviour.

“We have off and on over the years had problems with youths causing problems for the bowlers at the council bowling green in Duke Street Park. It is becoming particularly bad this year. Over the last month or so, and increasingly so now, a gang of boys, up to 20 of them, perhaps aged around 15 have been climbing over the 6-foot fencing around the green and playing football. Apart from damage to the green, there are further concerns. They have been seen there at any time from late afternoon any day of the week and even late evening after a bowling match has finished.

Last Friday evening, 16 June, no sooner than the match had finished at about 9.15pm, when just three of us were left to lock up, about a dozen of them suddenly climbed over the fencing, running around the green and taunting us, calling out foul mouth obscenities at us. One of us was hit by a tennis ball thrown at us.

We rang Sefton Arc who advised us to call 999, which we did. The police took details and said they would try to attend within the hour. We waited, but by about 9.45, no police had come, the youths had vacated the green area, although still hanging around by the old toilets and tennis courts. As it was now nearly dark and no police appeared, we went home without further incident. They were later seen walking towards Formby station. However, as they are at the green so often, we suspect they are local to Formby.

We are concerned that the situation is getting out of hand and needs stopping, before something serious happens, particularly bearing in mind that most of our bowlers are well over 70 and into their 80s and feel very intimidated.

What can we do?

  • How do we stop them getting in? We know they use the large stones lining the path to the old toilets to give themselves a leg up. Can they be removed? This might deter, but perhaps not stop.
  • Can we apply vandal proof paint to the tops of the railings – quite a job as this would need applying on to large sides of the fenced green area? Warning signs would be needed.
  • Can CCTV be erected to focus on the green area to identify the individuals concerned?
  • In longer term,
    • Could we have tall bushes planted all along Kings Road and past the hut to the gate by the big field?
    • Can the toilets be knocked down (as well as congregating there and various undesirable substances there, they have in the past used the toilet block to climb onto the roof of the sports hut).
  • If any of the above, how could it be funded?
  • Can we get police patrols in the evening around the bowling green area?

Can the Parish Council or Sefton Council help in any way?”

The Chairman advised that the Parish Council are in the process of installing CCTV in the park, the order has been placed with Sefton Arc and will hopefully be in situ soon. Following a discussion, Cllr Richards agreed to liaise with Sefton Council parks department and the Clerk will liaise with Merseyside Police to ask if they can provide any support.

The meeting was reconvened.

19.0 Minutes of the Previous Meeting

19.1 Minutes of the Annual Meeting held on 15 May 2023

It was resolved that the minutes of the meeting held on 15 May 2023 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

20.0 Matters of Report from Previous Meeting

There were no matters of report.

21.0 Chairman’s Report

There was no Chairman’s report.

22.0 Planning Applications

22.1 Liverpool Road site

Cllr Wield reported that contractors are working outside of permitted hours. They are not damping down, and dust is problematic in adjacent homes and gardens. Members had been sent a picture of a high wall, which was higher than normally allowed. It was suggested that it might possibly be an acoustic wall, but the clerk will contact planning enforcement.

22.2 7 Wicks Lane – application to demolish a bungalow and build a 5-bed house.

22.3 2 Harington Road – application to demolish a bungalow and build a house – refused.

22.4 Formby Pool – application for heat pumps. Members commented that they need to be careful where these are situated as they can be noisy and cause a disturbance to nearby residential housing.

22.5 Chapel Lane – members commented that the new take away exterior is not in keeping with the village centre character and asked for this to be referred to planning control.

22.6 Land at rear of 19 College Avenue – approved.

23.0 To discuss and approve the following.

23.1 To appoint a representative to the Merseyside Association of Local Councils (MALC)

Members asked for the Terms of Reference of the group, before considering whether to appoint a representative.

23.2 To approve the purchase of a Park Notice Board at an estimated cost of £2,000.

It was resolved to approve the purchase of a Park Notice Board at an estimated cost of £2,000.

23.3 To approve the expenditure for the purchase of a Christmas tree, and lights switch on event to be held in November.

It was resolved to approve the purchase of a Christmas tree and to approve the budget for the lights switch on event in November.

23.4 To approve a budget for purchase of hampers for needy families at Christmas, suggested budget is £2,500 – £3,000. Members discussed the issues facing families and decided that the budget would need to be increased as it was expected that more families may fall into this category this year. It was noted that this is done in conjunction with the local schools, and it is the schools who identify the families. The Parish Council prepare and deliver the hampers to the schools, who then deliver them to the families.

It was resolved to approve a budget of £4,000 for the purchase of hampers for needy families at Christmas.

23.5 To approve match funding of a fence for the Platinum Jubilee Park for the boundary adjacent to the Sports Club.

It was resolved to advise the Sports Club to seek quotes and apply for Community funding for a contribution.

23.6 To approve the purchase of two knife savers cabinets at a cost of approximately £1,000 plus vat for the use at the National Trust beach site in Formby.

It was resolved to approve the purchase of two knife saver cabinets at a cost of approximately £1,000 plus vat.

23.7 To consider a request from Sefton Council to purchase 2 variable speed signs for Formby Bypass at a cost of £63,000 plus £4,500 maintenance.

Members decided to refer this item to the Environment Group for further discussion.

23.8 To approve a request from the Harington Ward Cllrs for match funding of £4,150 for 3 retractable bollards for Chapel Lane.

It was decided to defer the item. Cllr Richards agreed to investigate the possibility of a 3-way split with the Ravenmeols Ward Cllrs.

23.9 To approve a community fund application for a children’s cooking activity at the Formby Festival.

Members discussed this and noted the total cost to host this event at the Formby Festival is approximately £5,000. The £1,500 grant requested from the Parish Council would be a contribution spent on the hire of the marquee, professional chefs, chef assistants, disposable knives, spoons, forks, napkins, plates, foil containers, tablecloths, cleaning materials, hand sanitiser and Chefs hats and apron (which the children take home), as well as fuel costs and food.

It was resolved to approve the community fund application of £1,500 for a grant to contribute to the children’s cooking activity at the Formby Festival, which in the opinion of the Council is in the interests of the area or its inhabitants and will benefit them in a manner commensurate with the expenditure.

23.10 To discuss undertaking a further consultation of residents living near the Platinum Jubilee Park regarding park rules.

It was resolved to undertake a further consultation of residents regarding the park rules for the Platinum Jubilee Park.

24.0 Payments

  1. Employer expenses – £1,633.15
  2. Office lease, Sefton MBC – £250.00
  3. Office phone and broadband, BT – £70.66
  4. Park bin and fence section panel, Sefton MBC – £1,137.00
  5. No parking and 2 dog notices, Mysignworks NW Ltd – £180.00
  6. Rosettes for coronation, named individual – £24.50
  7. Data protection renewal subscription, ICO – £35.00

Total – £3,330.30

It was resolved to make the payments as listed above.

25.0 The following reports were noted (circulated with the Agenda):

  • Minutes of the Finance and General Purposes Group Meeting
  • Minutes of the Environment Group Meeting

26.0 Date of Next Meeting:

The next Ordinary meeting of Formby Parish Council will be held on Monday 17 July 2023, 7pm, at Formby Library, Duke Street, Formby.


This file will download in Microsoft Word Format